Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Crazy past few weeks

So I know my posts haven't been exactly riveting lately, but there have been many things, not all good unfortunately, happening in my life.

Since graduation my cat has died :-(, and my car has been out of commission for three whole weeks. I've also started a new job, which I'm loving so far. But overall it has been difficult to get much reading or writing done, though I have tried.

The writing group is going well, we've been meeting every other Friday, but I am experiencing some dilemmas that I hadn't anticipated.

Some of my group have extremely personal tastes when it comes to descriptive writing--now, don't get me wrong, I love descriptive writing, but it is very difficult to maintain a good balance. One or two members of my group seem to feel that the more descriptive their writing is the better, but some of their scenes are, well, burdened by description. This coming up Friday I mean to talk to one of them and explain how quality is better than quantity when it comes to analogies and metaphors, but at the same time, I feel like they might not take this advice to heart simply from how they have reacted throughout our meetings. For them more is always better, but I can't help but feel the opposite.

How do you manage your overly descriptive passages? Do you pick and choose the best after it has been written, or do you prefer to have an abundance of description?

And would there be a better way for me to express my concern to my group members?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment