Sunday, March 20, 2011

Editing

...it seems I'll be repetitive in my posts early on, but editing is an important part of my life right now--a turning point really. To recap: I've never really edited my own work before, mainly because I hadn't written anything which I considered worth the time and effort to edit.

While clicking around on twitter recently I saw an article that discussed getting over "the editing blues." I remember some of what the article said but I was surprised, and a little disappointed, to find that most of the advice there was based on procrastination, on doing things in between editing to make yourself feel better about it.

Start a new project, was one of the main points. But what if your life has become one in which you have a few projects floating around, waiting to be edited!? What then? Just keep writing in hopes that you'll get tired of that and then want to edit? I know, I know--I'm being facetious. But I'm starting to understand those people that ask: doesn't analyzing what you read ruin the story? Isn't it more difficult to look past the writing and get lost in it?

Well, yes! It is! Especially when it's your own story, because writing is even more enjoyable than reading in that you literally (ha-ha) get lost in the story, it takes you with it as it goes on. But going back to it....eek! That's how I feel about my own 'pride and joy' right now. But I guess that's a good thing--because I can tell my writing has improved dramatically within one project, which is, hey--great! But it just makes it that much more difficult to get through it without getting bogged down with each and every sentence.

Anyone, out there, have a magical cure for the editing blues that is, well, efficient?

2 comments:

  1. No cure. Sorry.
    I have playlists for my projects and try to get myself to a point where I can't wait to spend time with those characters again. The hardest part for me is not getting lost in the story, and forcing myself to be very objective (almost impossible) and to only work on a small chunk at a time. Otherwise I start reading the STORY and not the LANGUAGE.

    Good luck!

    Also, I had like three finished projects before I began any kind of real edit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you tend to rotate between the different projects? That seems like a really good idea--my main issue lately has been that I keep being reminded of the same issue over and over, because I'm dealing with the same work, and not really taking a break from it.

    Thank you for posting! :-)

    ReplyDelete