Monday, March 21, 2011

Short Story Rant

So I now believe it was a mistake reading Neil Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples last night at around 11:30. Not because I was too scared to go to sleep but because never--NEVER have I felt like such a monster for liking a story this much! I was still grinning like an idiot lunatic (because only lunatics and writers gain happiness from some of the events in that story) an hour later when I climbed into bed.

There is nothing more I want right now than to go back in time and kidnap Stephanie Meyer before she wrote he r books, tie to a chair and read this story to her (maybe smack her once or twice with a xeroxed version) so she learns what a vampire is supposed to be. Beautiful--yes. Glittery? NO!

I had to resist to read this story over again as soon as I'd finished it and to count how many times he uses the words glass, snow and apples in that veritable fairy tale masterpiece!!!

6 comments:

  1. That story, though disturbing as it may be, is brilliant. The first time I read it, I was totally spellbound. It's just...amazing. So well done.

    It inspired a recent short story I've been working on, actually.

    Good post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It inspired an idea for a story for me as well--though I don't know if I'll go anywhere with it. This is just one of those stories where there is so much beneath the surface that it instantly inspires.

    I'd be curious to know in what direction that inspiration took you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up re-writing a fairytale. It was a very unexpected story. Part of it kind of shocked me, even as I was writing it. Thanks for asking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! :-) Those tend to be the best stories--the ones that are more on the spontaneous side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued - I need to read something scary. Something disturbing and spellbinding has to well worth hunting down :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine- I read it in a fantasy story anthology edited by Peter S. Beagle, called the Secret History of Fantasy, which contains other great stories.

    Happy hunting, and thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete