Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Eureka!!!

I never thought I'd say that word, much less write it, and even less as a post title, but there you have it! I am extremely frustrated by my ability to express my extreme levels of excitement and happiness on here so...Eureka!! Woo Hoo!!! I know what kind of story my novel will be. I have finished masticating the mediocrity of my draft zero, and today I discussed its entirety with my independent study professor.

Two hours or so of me rambling about what I was going to change and discussing what should be changed and trying to figure out how to do it. It ended with me telling her the background story, the behind the scenes of the explicit plot and she pointed out something that I guess I already knew but never actually acknowledged: I'm trying to tell two stories from a very narrow perspective. And so I left our discussion with two incredibly different options for how to tell my story: a first person narration in the form of a travel journal, or a third person omniscient perspective....yes, I know--quite different.

Now, I may very well have gone temporarily insane, in which case I will regret writing this post, but I just had to share!! I have decided to do both! Yup...frame narrative to be precise, and I know it is probably way above my ability as a writer but heck, I say fuck it! I will try. And considering I have been thinking about this manuscript as my practice/will probably never get published manuscript what have I got to lose? (Well besides a lot of time and energy, but sh!)

The best part about this eureka moment is that it has completely refueled my love for this story because, as I said earlier, I was only telling half of the story, and now I'm allowing myself to tell the bigger, behind-the-scenes, funner stuff! Oh boy oh boy!

I felt that I had to record this moment for all those other times in my life that I forget why I want to write, because of this feeling right now. When, even though I know I have incredible amounts of work ahead and don't even know how/if I'll accomplish what I want, I am so excited and happy about the prospect of writing something for no reason other than I get to tell myself a story...even in this case, when I've already told myself one a large part of it.

5 comments:

  1. This made me incredibly happy for you.

    Those EUREKA! moments are gold. Or coffee. In my world, coffee is gold. (I've had too much this morning. Forgive me.)

    I think that is a very awesome undertaking, and figuring out HOW to tell the story you want? Man, that's a big chunk of the battle.

    You don't have anything to lose -- and you have everything to learn. (I've learned more from my bad drafts and first starts than mostly anything else.)

    Good for you. I'm glad that you shared this. :-) ~Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee is gold, without Coffee there are no eureka moments, for me anyway. Thanks for reading!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Savor the moment - and if (okay, when) the doubts and second-guessing return, reread this post, and remember, you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! i have had a grand total of about three minutes of this in my entire life.

    also, let's be blog friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those moments when you just KNOW what needs to happen. So awesome :D

    ReplyDelete