Monday, April 25, 2011

Overwhelmed

So there is a lot going on in my life right now, which is why I've been rather neglectful of this blog. But I'm trying. Graduation is right around the corner (exactly one month), and there is just too much left for me to do before the date comes rushing up at me and then I'm left in the uncertainty that will no-doubt come after.

My writing, unfortunately, is taking the fall for this, mainly because it's one of the few things that can be put on the back burner for now. But it saddens me. I want writing to be a priority but it just can't right now. I just keep telling myself that in one month I'll be able to make more time for it--and that I'll be able to read whatever I want, which I haven't done since Christmas break.

But the few days I have been able to work on my writing I have worked on rewriting my WIP, and I realize that if I had spent more time planning things out the first time around I wouldn't have to spend all this time now, organizing the pieces of my story. Even that makes me feel slightly guilty though. I spend so much time working on the second draft, that I'm ignoring all these other stories that are waiting to be developed. I have two larger ideas that I'm slowly expanding, and then about six or seven short story ideas, but my obsessive compulsive nature demands that I finish what I'm working on before I can move on to the next project.

How do you deal with multiple projects? Do you feel the need to finish what you're working on, even if it means sacrificing other unique ideas, that could be potentially better stories than what you are working on now? Or do you split your time between rewrites and new projects?

3 comments:

  1. I just do what needs to be done. Sounds kind of generic, but if writing stresses me out, it's kind of lost its' point.

    best of luck with graduation - I remember that last little bit way too well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, don't beat yourself up. Life gets crazy and demanding, sometimes. I'm dealing with a similar bout of I Want to Write, but Can't. Once you graduate (congrats!), that'll be one less thing on your plate.

    Second, don't feel guilty about what this WIP or draft taught you. Save it for the next time. Rememeber that the next foray will be easier for it. It's a trial and error thing, and you have to find what works for you.

    Third, I think it was Chuck Wendig who said that you need to be faithful to the project you're working on. Otherwise, you might get distracted 400 times and never finish it. For me, though, whenever I'm working on something, I suddenly get The Best Ideas Ever. It's really odd. So, I bought a medium sized five star notebook, with two sections. The first section is for future story notes and idea. The second is for something different. That might help you.

    ~Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali--I think that's been happening to me too, I just want to tell all the ideas to come back in a few months, but they just don't listen! That notebook idea sounds great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete