Monday, April 18, 2011

Game of Thrones

If you plan on reading the books or watching the show any time soon I warn you that the following little rant contains spoilers.

Although I am writing my response to this article  a little bit after the general hubbub has died down, I have a reason. I wanted to wait to see the first episode myself. The article specifically said that not only were George R. R. Martin's books 'boyfiction', a term I might not even have been aware of before I read it, but that there is sex in the HBO show simply to target female audiences, because that is the only reason they would watch.

If you have read the books I will let this statement sink in.

First off, there is just as much sex in the books as in the first episode, only difference is that the episode condenses chapters into minutes, and therefore having the naughty parts pile up into the second half of the episode. But the writer's statement simply proves that she hasn't read the books.

Also, the three sex scenes in the one hour episode, I feel, are aimed more at men than at women, which also contradict's the article's point. It's either doggy-style or a whore-house scene. And while that is pretty accurate in terms of the book, I'd imagine the scene between Jamie and Cersei differently, simply because they do care about each other.

And lastly, if the sex was included to appeal to female viewers than why are no men naked? Ahem...I mean, if these scenes were targeted at women there would have been an equal ratio of nudity--I think anyway.

Overall it is apparent that the writer of the article did not read the books, and that what she described was her personal reaction to the show, which is fine, but in that case she should not have made it an issue of gender. The vast majority of people who enjoy Martin's books and others like them are women. HBO shows such as True Blood and Mad Men are also greatly enjoyed by women. The writer of this article should have done some form of research before making the claims she did, instead of stating her opinion and hiding behind her sex.

__

On a slightly off note, for anyone who has read the books and seen last night's episode. Aren't the cold ones supposed to be slow, mindless creatures (ie. zombies), not dashing through the woods purposefully like vampires or werewolves? I hope they don't take that into a whole different direction from how they are in the books.

Anyway, Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I hate reading articles by people who obviously haven't done their research.
    And... I don't have TV. I've watched a few episodes of Mad Men, which I LOVE. So I can't compare to the specific show you're talking about, but lack of research really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That review made me livid. And her follow up response filled me with even more rage. Basically, her argument was, "Well, I've never met any women who read fantasy." By that argument, anyone who hasn't traveled around the world should still believe it's flat. I mean, REALLY?

    *ahem*

    Great post. I'm glad to see your thoughts on the matter.

    ReplyDelete